[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Nik Clayton <nik at ngo dot org dot uk>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  Nik Clayton <nik at ngo dot org dot uk>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Spurious <br>s in the web GUI
 Date:  Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:06:38 +0000
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 09:20:28PM +0100, Manuel Kasper wrote:
> On 28.11.2003, at 21:06, Nik Clayton wrote:
>
> >Have you considered using a combination of <div> elements and CSS to
> >get the pixel perfect positioning you want?  That works well in modern
> >browsers, and degrades gracefully.
>
> The example looks nice, I have to admit. I know that m0n0wall has a bit
> of a strange mix of HTML and CSS formatting, but then again... It
> works, and I honestly can't see why I should go and overhaul everything
> just because it doesn't look the way it's supposed to on a minority of
> web browsers or because it isn't 100% clean.

This is what I get on a default Firebird install:

    http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/m0n0wall/snapshot1.png

and is what caused me to look at this in the first place.  It's the text
below the "Allow DNS server list..." checkbox that's broken oddly.

> If anybody wants to do that while preserving the exact look on at least
> Mozilla, IE and Safari, then go ahead...

I'll give that a go now.

> I'd much prefer that people spend time on tasks that are more useful
> to the future of m0n0wall, though.

For me, long term, it is.  It makes it easier and simpler to write new
functionality, without worrying about hardcoding a lot of look and feel.

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \ ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/_)