[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>, "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Something odd in status page
 Date:  Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:11:39 -0800
Same problem exists for most SNMP counters. 32 bt counters are standard, and
with a 100Mb feed, you have to check your counters every 5 minutes and log
them for difference checking so you can detect the roll-overs. 1Gb SNMP
typicalls supports 64 bit counters, but that's not the norm for most of us.
I suspect this is why most MRTG polls run every 5 minutes.

I have a PDF I found somewhere that discusses dealing with counter roll and
so on - can send it to anyone who is interested, but basically the theory is
check every 5 minutes, subtract the previous value unless the previous value
is smaller which indicates a counter roll has occurred, if so, add 4G to
your current number and try the subtraction again.

Make sense?

Sure it's a limitation of FreeBSD, but that seems to exist elsewhere and is
how others seem to deal with it.

My two cents.

m/