[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  "Paul Barnfather" <plb at clanger9 dot org>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Outbound DNS queries showing up as BLOCKED in logs?
 Date:  Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:56:50 -0800
> I have noticed that DNS queries on the WAN interface (sis2)
> are showing up in my firewall log.

I'm noticing this, plus DNS queries from the Wi0 interface to the internal
DNS forwarder, e.g.:

19:45:08.466219 wi0 @0:15 B 10.0.0.160,1034 -> 10.0.0.1,53 PR udp len 20 70
IN
19:45:09.462319 wi0 @0:15 B 10.0.0.160,1034 -> 10.0.0.1,53 PR udp len 20 70
IN
19:45:10.462561 wi0 @0:15 B 10.0.0.160,1034 -> 10.0.0.1,53 PR udp len 20 70
IN

I just upgraded from pb18 to pb20, but it may have been there previously - I
haven't checked the logs in quite a while!  This is also on a Soekris 4521.

Needless to say, it makes the firewall logs pretty useless because there's
so much noise there (I have 3+ users at any given time) in the form of DNS
queries.

Any ideas on how to turn this off?

thx! michael