[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andreas Mixich <amix at enternet dot hu>
 Subject:  How to expand m0n0wall ?
 Date:  Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:38:28 +0100
Hello,

I just discovered m0n0wall. Pretty damn nice I'd say ! Heaven of a
configuration GUI. Nice style and design as well. Thus it should be no
surprise I'd like to use it.

As much as I like the Soekris boxes, they never satisfied my needs.

So I built a MicroServer for my home using the VIAC3 on a VIA C3M266-L
MicroATX board.
All in all it is a bit exotic, since I plan to use a IDE-CF for the
system while having an S-RAID-5 for $HOMEs. I am going to add a WLAN
card sooner or later and will transit to SMP  as soon the next-gen C3
hits the streets (dual RNG, AES hardware, SMP capable, less heat, leass
power than current versions).
I hope to easily migrate my actual system then.

Now my question:

I need a system-software. m0n0wall looks much like it.
However, I find it very, very fine-tuned to the "embedded" platforms and
while I fully ackowledge and apprecite this (that is the goal of
m0n0wall) I'd be very happy to also use services.

Apache (ssl, mod-python, mod-php, etc.)
pgsql, mldonkey, openldap, hylafax, samba, sane, jabberd, postfix,
leafnode, procmail, etc.

So I thought I should ask, if you people know of some efforts matching
my desires. An 'add-on kit' or some fine-tuned packages for m0n0wall.

Also I would like to know if there is any plan in the future to provide
an LDAP backend. LDAP would greatly get along with the current XML
config, since both are tree-like in their structure.

I am aware I am not building a router/AP/firewall but also adding
servers. And I am aware of the security-risk for a mixed-environment.
However, this is a home-system and the way I need it.

Thank you very much in advance!

--
Andreas Mixich