[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Eric Collins <eric at tawifi dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Experiences in 50+ user organizations?
 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:33:18 -0700
Now while I agree with Jesse on a "saturated" T1 its is kinda touch and
go, especially if you have alot of shaping going on, but I have several
client T1's that I use the 4801's on and they are fine 99.9% of the
time, no problems whatso ever. So no I dont think it would be a problem.
I also use the 4801 on my home connection which is 5mbit Wifi and it
purrs along just fine with no problems.

As for your wifi feed I think the soekris boards will be just fine, we
use them in several 5-10mbit wifi feeds without problems, and I am sure
alot of other people use them in the same way.

Now the Soekris did not work for our datacenter, but with the amount of
traffic we push it is not surprising in the least.

-Eric

Seth Rothenberg wrote:

>>I tend to agree with this....
>>I wouldn't place a Soekris 4801 on anything larger
>>than a saturated T1 though.
>>

>I have 2 questions on this thread -
>which has been getting me nervious....but maybe unnecessarily...
>
>So, if you have a not-saturated T1, Soekris is OK?
>(I have two 4521 in service and would like to keep them a while :-)
>
>What about a wifi feed?  I am looking at buying
>Towerstream's 5Mb/s feed soon, for about 20 people,
>hoping to grow...hoping the soekris would last a while...
>
>....and, if not a soekris, even 4801 from sounds of it,
>what then?   i.e., a GHz class SBC with 2 pcmcia ?
>(do you give up the fanless part? :-)
>Any suggestions?
>

>Thanks
>Seth