[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Re: Experiences in 50+ user organizations?
 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:31:10 -0500
Seth Rothenberg wrote:

>> I tend to agree with this....
>> I wouldn't place a Soekris 4801 on anything larger
>> than a saturated T1 though.
>
> I have 2 questions on this thread -
> which has been getting me nervious....but maybe unnecessarily...
>
> So, if you have a not-saturated T1, Soekris is OK?

Absolutely. The Soekris was perfectly capable of oversaturating
the T1 link. Also, note that I was also doing bridging on that
saturated T1, so my NICs were in promiscuous mode, I think, which
may or may not put additional load on the CPU. And to top it off
I was doing a fair bit of traffic shaping.

This T1 was completely full 99% of the time, with traffic from
4 different upstream T1s flowing through it.

Honestly, I think the webGUI was the only thing that was slow.
m0n0wall gives priority to pushing packets rather than the webGUI,
so the Soekris may be able to push upwards of 5Mbits/s at with
those settings. I'm not sure. Your webGUI will probably be a
nightmare to configure though. :)

I'll have to put that Soekris back out there and provide some decent
feedback.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,