 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  possible bugs in 1.2b5 generic PC
 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:17:01 -0500 (EST)
Overview: problems with firewall rule marking and activation, and with DHCP
lease log timestamps.

Setup: m0n0wall 1.2b5 isolating an internal test lab (LAN interface)
from the main corporate network (WAN interface).  Outbound NAT disabled,
WAN machines have static routes (obtained from corporate DHCP server)
for test lab network.

Problem: m0n0wall DHCP log timesamps
       I'm in America/Montreal timezone (currently 14:34), yet
       "Diagnostics->DHCP leases" shows "2005/02/24 19:31:29" (five
       hours later) as the start time of the most recent lease.  Looks
       like it's displaying GMT...or maybe I'm on drugs.

       I've confirmed the m0n0wall has the correct time by confirming
       that "Status->System" shows correct time for "Last config
       change:"

       BTW, I've pointed the m0n0wall at an NTP server that gives
       correct time to 600+ machines.

Problem: FW rules bug(s)
       Background: I don't want IGMP (multicast management) messages
       from the WAN (corporate network) cluttering my firewall logs, so
       I've created a rule to block such packets, without logging
       them.  While testing for correct reject/block functionality, I
       ran across two possible bugs:
               1) IGMP packets still cause log entries, regardless of
                  the block/reject rule
               2) In the rules display, the "X" icon is red, denoting
                  "block", even when I've set the rule to "reject".
                  Note that other rules which block UDP broadcasts
                  correctly show the "X" icon in orange when I change
                  them to "reject".

       BTW, I've used the status.php page to double-check the IGMP rule
       in the "unparsed ipfilter rules" section, and it seems the entry
       is incorrect for the "reject" setting:
               block in quick proto igmp from any to any group 200

       when what I expect is:
               block return-icmp in quick proto igmp from any to any group 200

       I'm not familiar enough with IGMP to be sure that "reject" is
       meaningful.  Even if it isn't, the current behaviour is
       confusing...

Claude
--
Team Leader, Network Security & Telecommunications, Information Services
Cedara Software Corp.                   (905) 672-2100 x2339