[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mike Razavi" <mike at havepc dot com>
 To:  "forums" <forums at deleos dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] a software to check my network???
 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:58:51 -0800
Thank you

-----Original Message-----
From: forums [mailto:forums at deleos dot com]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 8:47 PM
To: Mike Razavi; m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch

Ethereal is an excellent "Free" sniffer.  If you know how to analyze raw
data this tool should suite you for analyzing the data moving across
your network devices...runs on almost anything...Windows,
Linux/Unix...OSX :) Just remember if you have an unmanaged switch you
won't be able to capture all data, just broadcast and your own traffic.

As for actually physically testing switches, hubs, cables I'm not too
sure.  There are cable testers to verify shorts or miswires.