[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  German dot Martin at RSES dot rohde dash schwarz dot com
 Cc:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Experiences in 50+ user organizations?
 Date:  Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:03:07 +0100
Hello,

We are using m0n0 installed in a VM over a 4 x Pentium 3 XEON 1 GHz with 1
GB of RAM. We use is as our main Internet firewall to connect about 100
users. It has been working fine douring over 3 months (since we installed
it). It is configures with many rules both in input and output interfaces.
We have also a DMZ connected to it with a Win2k3 running a VPN server and
RADIUS.

It is connected to an ADSL line with 512 kb up an 4 Mb down and also routes
traffic

I've tested several pure software firewall solutions and IMHO m0n0 is far
better than other ones (except Checkpoint NG, but it is a 10000's $
aplication) even freeware or "payware". I only found FWbuilder easier to
configure but it is only a GUI and it is more difficult to install.

We run it from CD so if the firewall machine fail I can change it for a new
one in a few minutes.

Oh, I forgot to say it is FREE  ;-)  (Thanks Manuel)

I hope this helps.

Regards

                      David Statman

                      <dstatman@minolus        To:       "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'"
<m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
                      a.com>                   cc:

                                               Subject:  [m0n0wall] Experiences in 50+ user
organizations?
                      24/02/2005 18:40

Hi,

We're looking at using m0n0wall at our company.  We currently have around
50
users internally, although we could end up at 60-70 users by the end of the
year.  I'd like to hear from others who use m0n0wall in similarly-sized
organizations, particularly with respect to whether or not you've
experienced any performance issues.  My boss is a little skittish about
relying on open source software (however good it may be) for our firewall.

More info...We host a website with ASP pages that query a SQL database.  So
far, the number of simultaneous connections to our website has remained
under 100.  We also have an Exchange server and an FTP server.  About 15
remote users connect to us via Terminal server.  We also have a VPN tunnel
established with one of our business partners.

Thanks in advance to any who share their experiences,

David Statman