[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Guillaume Sellier <sellier dot guillaume at gmx dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: thoughts on PHP as an rc system?
 Date:  Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:03:19 +0100
> On Thursday 24 February 2005 3:46 pm, Manuel Kasper wrote:
>> On 24.02.2005 13:56 -0500, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>>
>>> That's a neat idea. Lots of advantages! webGUI wouldn't even have to
>>> run on the m0n0wall.
>>>
>>> Do you think you'd still use PHP for the server component?
>>
>> No way! ;) That's something that PHP definitely doesn't work for
>> (well of course it would somehow, but that would be completely
>> against the intention with which PHP was made). I was more thinking
>> of using a small JVM and implementing the server component in Java.
>> However, I haven't actually evaluated any small/embedded JVMs to see
>> how fast and reliable they are.
>
> :) That's what I thought! OCaml has been described as a "Java Killer",
> just as m0n0wall has been described as a "Smoothwall Killer". :) OCaml
> contains it's own garbage collector and everything.
>
> I think you may have just made a case for an OCaml m0n0wall port. Now
> the question is: Will Jesse ever get around to actually writing it? :)
>
> To be continued...

First of all I would like to thanks every one who works on this great
project and especially Manuel for his great job.
I used to write C/C++ to handle process and threads up to gui in a
linux environement ( qt / gtk ).
I worked on a php intranet project months ago and nowadays I do more
sysadmin with sometimes a bit php ( basics tasks ).
As far as I can read Jesse your are a great fan of OCaml. I don't know
this language but on my spare time I try to learn Ruby.
What do think of Ruby ? Could it be a challenger of OCaml for m0n0wall ?

Thanks

--
Guillaume Sellier
Administrateur S&R