[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Pieterjan Heyse <pieterjan dot heyse at scheppers dash wetteren dot be>
 To:  Pieterjan Heyse <pieterjan dot heyse at scheppers dash wetteren dot be>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] penBSD support
 Date:  Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:33:54 +0100
Thanks to Frank, here's what I did to make an USB key installer for
m0n0wall

pre :

- download RUNT http://www.ncsu.edu/project/runt/runt-4.0.zip
- download m0n0wall http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads.php

1. make sure you create a partition on your USB stick (use the disk
management under windows) and FAT32 format it

2. Extract the RUNT archive to the USB pen

3a. Edit \runtutil\etc\syslinux.cfg and change prompt 0
3b. Run the runutil/makeboot.bat

4. Copy the m0n0wall image to the usb pen

5. Copy and rename all your m0n0 .img files to the USB ben in /linux/
rename the file to "1" (long filename problems)

6. edit F:\linux\etc\rc.d\rc_local.{_m with a unix aware text editor

7. Add  "gunzip -c /1 | dd of=/dev/hda bs=1024" just before
the echo "Log in with root." line.

8. reboot

this should do the trick, maybe in the future I can reduce the RUNT
image to work on a 32MB memory pen, but for now it is working. You
should watch out though, because every pc you boot off this stick will
get an automated m0n0 install :)

thanks folks for all the help here, I will start installing 8 m0n0wall
boxes for our wlan (http://www.ksgwl.be/wiki).

Pieterjan Heyse wrote:
> Hi folks,

> I gave up on using DOS to install m0n0 using an usb key, but I do not
> have access to a bsd system, to make a penBSD
> (http://www.freesbie.org/~saturnero/penBSD/)

> Is there anyone out there capable of making an image I can write with
> physdiskwrite (or similar tool) to my usb stick, which I can use to
> install m0n0 ?

> Thanks a lot,

> PJ

> Scheppersinstituut Wetteren
> Cooppallaan 128
> 9230 Wetteren
> Tel: 09 3692072
> Fax: 09 3661348
> mailto:pieterjan dot heyse at scheppers dash wetteren dot be

Vriendelijke groeten,

Pieterjan Heyse