[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: thoughts on PHP as an rc system?
 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:01:10 -0500
On Thursday 24 February 2005 3:46 pm, Manuel Kasper wrote:
> On 24.02.2005 13:56 -0500, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>
> > That's a neat idea. Lots of advantages! webGUI wouldn't even have to
> > run on the m0n0wall.
> >
> > Do you think you'd still use PHP for the server component?
>
> No way! ;) That's something that PHP definitely doesn't work for
> (well of course it would somehow, but that would be completely
> against the intention with which PHP was made). I was more thinking
> of using a small JVM and implementing the server component in Java.
> However, I haven't actually evaluated any small/embedded JVMs to see
> how fast and reliable they are.

:) That's what I thought! OCaml has been described as a "Java Killer",
just as m0n0wall has been described as a "Smoothwall Killer". :) OCaml
contains it's own garbage collector and everything.

I think you may have just made a case for an OCaml m0n0wall port. Now
the question is: Will Jesse ever get around to actually writing it? :)

To be continued...

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,