[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'m0n0'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0.1.2b5 does not run on Microsoft Virtual PC
 Date:  Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:57:12 -0500
Manickam Murugan wrote:
> Dear Sir
>
> All earlier version of m0n0 worked well on Microsoft Virtual PC.
>
> However, m0n0.1.2b5 identifies the ethernet cards as de0 and de1,
but
> on reboot, just shows only sis0 and sis1.
>
> Any problem in identifying the ethernet cards?
> ( Microsoft Virtual PC emulates DEC21140 ethernet cards )
>
> When I go for Auto-Detection ( console menu 1 ), it says " No
Link-up
> Detected ".
> This problem does not happen in Earlier Versions.
>
> We are pulling our hair out.
> Any help will be greatly remembered.
>
> Regards
> Murugan

Which m0n0wall are you using? On previous versions (1.1 and 1.11) I
used a CD/floppy (actually a .iso and a rawrite floppy .img). When I
tried to use the 1.2b5 .iso I had the same problems. I even tried a
real floppy disk. The config.xml would not write to .img or diskette -
don't know why, don't really care...

Here is how I got around the problem - Install to a VM Hard Disk:
1) Get Chris Buechler's Live Install CD .iso from:
   http://chrisbuechler.com/index.php?id=17
2) Capture the .iso on the VM CDRom
3) Boot - without ACPI support (hit 2 at boot menu)
4) Follow the instructions from Chris' site to install 1.11 (or 1.2b?)
to your VM HD
5) Follow normal instructions to configure interfaces
6) Get the Generic-pc .img from:
   http://m0n0.ch/wall/beta.php
7) Follow the instructions here (won't be needed if problem is fix in
1.2b6) to upgrade:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs%5B%5D=138&actiona
rgs%5B%5D=73
8) You should have a HD based m0n0wall 1.2b5 - Have fun.

The only reason I setup a VM is to look at the differences in the
interface, features, etc. I do *NOT* in any way shape or form
recommend using the VM (MS VPC or VMWare) as a production firewall -
testing/development *ONLY*.

James W. McKeand

p.s. Chris, nice new page...