[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  b5 hostap initial impression
 Date:  Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:45:04 +0000
Well my initial impression of hostap on FreeBSD 5.3 (b5) is that it's
definitely improved, but still not flawless.

My setup is a 4501 with a 2511MP 802.11b card, wi driver.

With all prior m0n0wall versions (and FreeBSD 4.x in general) I could
never connect with the built in Dell 1450 wireless card in my Inspiron
5650 laptop (P4 3 GHz), power save mode or not, and after messing
around with every single setting on the card.  Now it'll connect and
work no problem with the default settings (which is power save mode
disabled).

But, if I enable power save mode on the laptop wireless card, things
still don't work right.  It doesn't seem to crash the m0n0wall
wireless entirely like I believe it did in FreeBSD 4, but it doesn't
work properly (about 70% packet loss, so it's unusable).

I know some of you have worked with this problem a lot more than I
have.  I'd be interested in seeing your impressions if you've tried b5
yet.

-Chris