[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Derek Quenneville <techknight at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b5 and Atheros a/b/g
 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:40:19 -0500
I just wanted to mention that I put a D-Link DWL-AG520 (802.11/a/b/g)
into my m0n0wall box last night and it worked with a minimum of
trouble. (hostap mode, unbridged and isolated on its own subnet)

These are the issues that popped up, if anyone else is considering
adding wireless now that m0n0wall is on 5.3: (Not everyone is likely
to experience these, I'm just listing what I went through)

1. At first I didn't realize that one had to enable the ath0 interface
at the console, I'd assumed that it would show in the wireless status
page and be configured from there. Search results on m0n0.ch for
"wireless" produced no clear docs for adding wireless, and the actual
documentation has no such notes in the wireless section. (This is not
a criticism, I know resources are limited and I appreciate what
exists.)

2. One of the pci slots in my m0n0 box caused hardware reset errors to
be displayed as kernal messages in the console whenever i applied
changes to my wireless card (changing the channel, for example).
Moving the card to a different slot fixed this.

3. I found this step-by-step guide to be very useful:
http://www.davidcourtney.org/soekris/wap.html

4. When everything was set up correctly, my laptop was still not
sensing any networks. It turns out that I had accidentally pressed the
wireless card toggle on the front panel. Oops. :)

The only issue left is that the Status -> Wireless menu doesn't seem
to detect that wireless support is installed, but otherwise everything
is running smoothly and without wires. It's great!

# Derek Quenneville
# techknight at techknight dot com
# http://www.gameslifeandstuff.com

> Now, about the Atheros support... I tried it on a WRAP with an
> NL-5354MP (AR5212A), which worked OK (otherwise I wouldn't have
> claimed that there's ath support if it hadn't even worked for me). I
> tried it in hostap mode bridged with WAN and WEP enabled, and also
> switched between 11b and 11g, but that's about all the testing I've
> done. Obviously it's only an 11b/g card, so I couldn't actually test
> 11a. So to the people who can't get it to work: does ath0 show up in
> the kernel messages at all? If so, does it also list any HAL errors
> or something?
>
> - Manuel

# Derek Quenneville
# techknight at gmail dot com