[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: rt2500 wireless chip support ?
 Date:  Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:56:13 -0500
Igor Gnip wrote:

> Is it possible ?  These cards are extremely inexpensive ... I just
> bought two  at 23 euro a piece.
>
> Is there any chance of supporting this chipset ?
>
>  I have exactly _no_ idea at all on differences between openbsd and
> freebsd and netbsd ...   but  seems that there is such driver in
> openbsd:
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/11/message/25298/thread
>

> and also:
>
> http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ral/

Yes, this page indicates that support exists for FreeBSD:

http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ral/ral-freebsd.html

But it's not part of the base system yet, so it's not supported by
m0n0wall at the moment. Damien's index page indicates that he plans
to commit support in FreeBSD 6.x once the OpenBSD support is stable.
He says on February 16, 2005: "It is at a very early development
stage though so it is very likely that it won't work for you."

Manuel, what are your thoughts on non base system drivers like this?
Will you be willing to include support for them in the default m0n0wall
builds if someone does the work, or will you only support them with
the unsupported module system?

I would be willing to attempt to do the work to support these cards
in m0n0wall if someone wants to send me an 802.11b capable PCI version.
These cards appear to require PCI 2.2. I have a few such machines.
This interests me, and I need a PCI 802.11b wireless card anyway.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,