[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: rt2500 wireless chip support ?
 Date:  Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:55:44 +0100
On 26.02.2005 12:12 -0500, Chris Buechler wrote:

> I don't speak for Manuel or pretend to on the mailing list, but from
> things in the past, he doesn't like to add in things that don't work
> properly the vast majority of the time.  Sounds like this would be
> right up that alley.  If the driver for this card in 6 can be easily

Exactly my opinion! Only reasonably stable stuff is going to make it
into official m0n0wall releases.

> On another note, and probably a similar situation, FreeBSD's
> "Project Evil" that allows you to use Windows network drivers for
> cards on FreeBSD would be an interesting addition if it would work
> reliably.  Though on m0n0wall, it's probably not really feasible,
> given the way the filesystem works.

Yeah, I had a look at that, and it's interesting, but I'm not sure
how it would work - I mean it's not like you can just upload the
.SYS/.INF files and somehow load them, but you have to convert them
and get .h files that you can then compile with the ndis driver,
right? If so, then things would be difficult, as we probably can't
just compile a set of the most common drivers and ship that with
m0n0wall due to licensing issues.

- Manuel