[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: rt2500 wireless chip support ?
 Date:  Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:50:44 -0500
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:55:44 +0100, Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net> wrote:

> > On another note, and probably a similar situation, FreeBSD's
> > "Project Evil" that allows you to use Windows network drivers for
> > cards on FreeBSD would be an interesting addition if it would work
> > reliably.  Though on m0n0wall, it's probably not really feasible,
> > given the way the filesystem works.
>
> Yeah, I had a look at that, and it's interesting, but I'm not sure
> how it would work - I mean it's not like you can just upload the
> .SYS/.INF files and somehow load them, but you have to convert them
> and get .h files that you can then compile with the ndis driver,
> right? If so, then things would be difficult, as we probably can't
> just compile a set of the most common drivers and ship that with
> m0n0wall due to licensing issues.

Yeah, licensing would almost certainly prohibit redistribution of the
drivers in a usable format.  And having all the requirements to build
those would greatly increase the image size with a bunch of stuff that
isn't really needed.  Not to mention probably wouldn't work right at
least some of the time, and would be a pain to troubleshoot.

It's a cool project, but not well suited for a system like m0n0wall.
IMO.  Maybe we could add the framework, put together instructions on
building drivers and the ability to upload them to the system.  Either
way it sounds problematic and not exactly easy.  But I'm not a
programmer, don't listen to me.  :)

-Chris