[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Elijah Savage" <esavage at digitalrage dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Strangest Problem with VPN
 Date:  Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:31:18 -0500
All,

I need some help before I began pulling my hair out, here is the
situation.

M0n0wall-----Internet-----Cisco831

I have the tunnel up between these 2 devices and I know everything is
setup properly, as I can ping from one LAN subnet to the other. I can
also ssh from behind the LAN subnet of the monowall to the Lan subnet of
the 831. Now everyone is saying ok so what's wrong. Well when I try to
RDP or send what seems to be any heavy traffic like RDP, file copy, etc
it opens up the resources but never completes. Let me try to explain
better, like on a file copy I attach to the share it ask for username
and password I put it in and see the file share when I go to copy it
hangs up and locks up that session. If I RDP to a box from the monowall
subnet to the other subnet it brings up the screen I put in the username
and password and it seems as if it is going to log me in but just locks
up the session.

Now from the 831 LAN subnet they can do anything they want to, it looks
as if they are sitting on my local subnet behind the monowall they have
no issues at all every service works great file sharing, RDP, they can
even print to my subnet. It seemed like a MTU issue at first so I tried
changing it on both sides and that did not make any difference. I have
taken all other access-list on the 831 off to make sure it was not being
caught by something else though I was sure it wasn't and that did not
make any difference. I did have a Cisco pix in place of the monowall and
it all worked great but since you can't do any traffic shaping on a pix
I decided to try monowall. The traffic shaping works great and I love it
but now I am in a pickle because if I can't get the vpn to work I will
have to go back to the pix and give up traffic shaping.

Any ideas or thoughts surely would be appreciated.
Thank you