[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Claude Morin <klodefactor at gmail dot com>
 To:  Elijah Savage <esavage at digitalrage dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall to Cisco VPN
 Date:  Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:59:51 -0500
At this point it's probably best to do something like:

        m0n0wall-----hub**-----Internet-----Cisco831

                        sniffer
                           PC

and watch, packet by packet, to confirm what's missing, and from which
end.  For sniffing, I use Ethereal pretty much exclusively these days;
it's supported on many platforms, including MS Windows.

Elijah: you say that pings across the tunnel work.  Can you confirm
that they *don't* work if you use the "-l NNNN" option to send larger
than normal ping packets?

Regarding the lack of log information on the endpoints: you should be
able to activate VPN debugging on the Cisco side at least.  I haven't
played with that particular subset of the debugging functionality, but
for PPP, ISDN, etc., Cisco's detailed debugging messages have saved me
several times.  Just remember to do "no debug all" when you're done,
or your logs will grow pretty quickly :-)

Silly question: have you tried these tests with traffic shaping on the
m0n0wall disabled?  I took a quick look at your earlier messages and
didn't see an answer...

-klode

** For the less experienced people following this discussion: it's
important to use a true hub in the pictured configuration, not a
dual-speed hub unless you're sure all three devices are communicating
at the same speed, and definitely not a switch.  Otherwise, the
sniffer PC won't see the traffic between the m0n0wall and the
Internet.