[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vincent Fleuranceau <vincent at bikost dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP on other subnet
 Date:  Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:31:59 +0100
-------- Message original --------

 > I have PPTP with m0n0wall working in the same subnet.
 > My firewall has LAN 10.0.0.1  and the PPTP = 10.0.0.79
 > , the clients get 10.0.0.80-96
 > My servers have 10.0.0.2 and so on until 10.0.0.40
 >
 > This works great. My main goal is to get remote
 > clients to log in on the network so they can access
 > all LAN subnet and use the services on my servers from
 > 10.0.0.2 - 40
 >
 > Using the current setup I do loose 16 ip's in my
 > 10.0.0.0 range.
 > Since I wish to increase this number of PPTP clients I
 > will loose even more IP's and thats my problem.
 >
 > I've checked out
 > http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=PPTPChanges
 > Tried to use a different subnet for my PPTP and PPTP
 > Clients.

I'm currently working on the 7.4. section which is still work in
progress. Please apology if it's not clear enough...

 > Example:  LAN 10.0.0.1     PPTP 10.0.10.79, clients
 > 10.0.10.80-96
 >
 > When I try this, PPTP connections work, but I can only
 > ping 10.0.0.1 / 10.0.10.79
 > Access or pinging to my servers 10.0.0.2 - 40 does not
 > work.
 >
 > What am I doing wrong ? (Do I need a static route?)

Yes, I think you need to add a static route when you use a dedicated
subnet for PPTP clients. In that case, use the PPTP server IP as the
gateway.

But if I remember well, when your PPTP clients use m0n0wall's WAN
interface as their default gateway (default behavior on Windows and Mac
OS X), you don't have to manually add a route because all your traffic
passes through the PPTP link.

I hope I've made no mistake ;-)

-- Vincent