[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jewell, Mike" <mjewell at law dot umaryland dot edu>
 To:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Captive Portal/FW Rules Issue....
 Date:  Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:57:18 -0500
I'm having an issue with my captive portal.

We have set up rules allowing for our Virus Quarantine network behind the
captive portal to have access to major Antivirus and Windows update sites
and deny traffic to all others. This part works wonderful.

The problem is the firewall rules are apparently evaluated prior to the
portal page being sent to the end users.

Example 1
	Joe has his homepage set to www.sarc.com.
	Sarc.com is allowed by the firewall rules.
	When Joe opens his browser he gets the portal page.

Example 2
	Bob has his homepage set to www.msn.com
	msn.com by default deny rule is not allowed.
	When Bob opens his browser, he gets server not found.
	If bob then goes to www.sarc.com, portal page is brought up.

Any suggestions on how to configure m0n0wall in such a way as to allow the
captive portal page to be returned even when a firewall deny rule is in
place? Any particular area of the code that deals with this?

-Mike Jewell