[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPsec and Netbios ... take two
 Date:  Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:28:19 -0500
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:07:36 -0800, Josh McAllister <josh at bluehornet dot com> wrote:

> If you're opposed to using "Windows buggy DNS servers" then why on earth would you want to rely on
any form of NetBios broadcasts? ESPECIALLY over a WAN link?

No kidding.  If anything in Windows is buggy, problematic, works
inconsistently at best, *especially* over WAN links and between routed
subnets, it's NetBIOS broadcasts.  Windows 2000/2003 DNS is solid,
really.  I run BIND at home and djbdns on all my public-facing DNS
servers, but every LAN I manage is Windows DNS (AD).  It's the last
thing I hear problems about.  :)

-Chris