[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phil Brutsche <phil at brutsche dot us>
 To:  maximkh at yahoo dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall on a server with PCIe network card?
 Date:  Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:33:32 -0600
Max Khitrov wrote:
> Just curious, I have no prior experience with PCIe, but I would very
> much like to take advantage its of the bandwidth when my new SC420
> server arrives. So my question is, is there anybody out there who is
> running m0n0wall with a PCIe network card and are there any problems in
> doing so (I guess another version of the question would be does FreeBSD
> support it)?

In my experience PCIe hardware shows up in the PCI bus scan the same way
"legacy" PCI devices do.

In other words, PCIe has been designed to be backwards-compatible with
existing OSs - I've booted my Debian install CDs on Dell OptiPlex GX280s
(PCIe-based P4 machines) and found that the network interface showed up
the way I expected it to.

The biggest thing you will need to worry about is whether FreeBSD
supports the ethernet cards you will use.  I'm confident you'll be fine
(iirc the Dell SC420 uses an Intel gigabit ethernet chip).

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche dot us