[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b6 lock-ups ....
 Date:  Fri, 4 Mar 2005 23:32:29 -0500
One of the other projects I sysadmin for likes to hand this out in
situations like this.  :)
http://bsdinstaller.org/trolls.html
but I'll bite anyway.

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:50:13 +0100, Frederick Page
<fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de> wrote:

> Although declared stable, the recent bugs with Traffic Shaper, NAT,
> PPTP, etc. show impressively in which direction FBSD is going.

All go back to one thing - issues in ipfw.  FreeBSD 4 had some
different but similar issues that required kernel patches in the very
early m0n0wall days.  Using ipfw and ipfilter simultaneously is
officially "unsupported" by FreeBSD, hence the need for custom kernel
patches before and probably now.  Moving to 5.3 is almost like
starting m0n0wall from scratch really, given the kernel issues that
had to be worked around originally.

I don't know what the freezing issues might be, as I've never seen
them, but they started before m0n0wall was moved to 5.3 so that
eliminates your stability claim with 5.3.  Though it is very annoying
that it's happening, and since it happens on hardware that's stable
with 1.11, it seems not to be hardware related.

I won't bother responding to the other stuff, as that pretty much
writes it all off as uninformed blather.

-Chris