[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Max Khitrov <maximkh at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  php script to edit the base files
 Date:  Sat, 5 Mar 2005 06:46:36 -0800 (PST)
Hi everyone, I'm just interested in understanding exactly how m0n0wall
works, so I want to ask you this...

Every time you make a change to, say, one of the php files and then
restart the box, that change is lost. Is this because when m0n0wall
boots up it simply copies everything from the HD (or whatever you use
for storage) into memory and then only works with that? IN other words
the only write operation that is performed is to back-up the config
file, but everything else is read-only. Is that about right?

In that case, what I wanted to ask is, what if I write a script that
will mount the hard drive to the currently running system. Would that
then give me the ability to modify the files and make those changes
permanent? What I really want to do is just some basic cosmetic
changes, so I'm thinking why not write a really simply php file that
will mount the hard drive partition, and then give me an overview of
all the files there. Then I could just open each one in the browser,
make any changes I need and then have the script put it back on the
hard drive.

Does this seem even the tiny bit reasonable, or am I way off on the
operations of this thing?