[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b6 lock-ups ....
 Date:  Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:31:53 +0100
Hallo Chris,

Chris Buechler schrieb am 04. March 2005:

>http://bsdinstaller.org/trolls.html
>but I'll bite anyway.

I am very sorry for giving this impression, that certainly was not
intended. I also admit that the problem might be on my side, I simply
have no way of knowing whether my Soekris net4801 might be faulty in
some way. I also opened my mouth here about supposed bugs, when it
turned out that the "bug" was in front of the monitor :-(

>>Although declared stable, the recent bugs with Traffic Shaper, NAT,
>>PPTP, etc. show impressively in which direction FBSD is going.

>Moving to 5.3 is almost like starting m0n0wall from scratch really,
>given the kernel issues that had to be worked around originally.

That point in time would strike me as an ideal opportunity to let go
of ipfilter, etc. and if everything has to be redone, why not go all
the way and move to OpenBSD? (I realize that it's too late now, all
work has already gone into the 5.x branch of FBSD).

>I don't know what the freezing issues might be, as I've never seen
>them, but they started before m0n0wall was moved to 5.3 so that
>eliminates your stability claim with 5.3.

The fact that you never experienced them, gives me hope, that I might
have had a flaky Soekris. Yes, I noticed the freezes before, however I
also had a freeze of the 5.x FBSD m0n0wall after only 3 days (it was 7
to 11 days before). That however maybe related to potential problems
on my side. Those are very hard to trackdown, that's why I just in
case bought a WRAP (you can see how the freezes annoy me) and switched
to that one since today.

I really have hopes, that the freezes just stop. I will then give the
Soekris to someone with only a little surfing, etc. who probably will
be grateful and not notice anything unusual.

>Though it is very annoying that it's happening, and since it happens
>on hardware that's stable with 1.11, it seems not to be hardware
>related.

The problem is that one cannot know for sure. So I exchanged the
hardware (I also hated the fact that my vpn1411 wasn't running well
on Soekris, it's now in the WRAP).

Thank you for responding to this and shedding some light on the
ipfilter/ipfw issues.

Kind regards   Frederick