[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Max Khitrov <maximkh at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] php script to edit the base files
 Date:  Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:07:31 -0800 (PST)
--- Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 06:46:36 -0800 (PST), Max Khitrov
> <maximkh at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> > In that case, what I wanted to ask is, what if I write a script
> that
> > will mount the hard drive to the currently running system. Would
> that
> > then give me the ability to modify the files and make those changes
> > permanent? What I really want to do is just some basic cosmetic
> > changes, so I'm thinking why not write a really simply php file
> that
> > will mount the hard drive partition, and then give me an overview
> of
> > all the files there.
>
> It's not that simple because there are no "partitions" to mount, per
> se.
>
> -Chris

Are you sure? I can't remember exactly, but I seem to recall that a
number of months ago when I was reformatting a drive that used to have
m0n0wall on it, cfdisk showed some partition with a number like hda8 or
something like that.

Oh well, I'm going to be setting up a new firewall once my hardware
arrives, will have some time to play around with this :)

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but while I appreciate all of the
security Manuel put into this, I find it a bit too restrictive. I don't
see any reason not to provide us with a simple way of editing the
configurations and web files on the installation without having to go
through the process of trying to find a FreeBSD system on which to work
and then re-imaging the whole thing again. SSH I guess is a dead issue
at this point, though once again, while I can understand the reasons
not to include it in the default setup, there should either be a second
distribution that may be larger in size, but gives us greater freedom,
or we should have a way of adding these things ourselves with ease
(ease being the key word there :P). Am I the only one who thinks so?