[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Max Khitrov <maximkh at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] php script to edit the base files
 Date:  Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:16:56 -0800 (PST)
--- Frans King <frans dot king at f333 dot net> wrote:
> The image contains a partition /dev/sdXa (where X is a number - at
> least on
> my system). /dev/sdXa gets mounted to /cf and this is where the
> config file
> is written to. On boot a disk image called mfsroot.gz is extracted to
> memory
> from /dev/sdXa and forms the root file system.
>
> That's why you see partitions but nonetheless, the root file system
> is not
> persisted following a reboot.

So you're saying that the only way to edit the base files is to extract
a second copy of all the files into the memory, edit some of them, then
put them back into the gz file and overwrite the old one? Can someone
explain the rationale behind this much complexity? I don't mean that in
a bad way, it just seems that so much work went into figuring this out
and I'm not seeing any advantage to it as opposed to just storing all
the files on the hard drive or whatever you use and simply copying them
to a ram drive one start up... Space?