[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>
 To:  j dot m dot jackson at thecompany dot org
 Cc:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: FDDI Support in 1.2b6
 Date:  Sat, 05 Mar 2005 18:24:11 -0800
If memory serves me right, j dot m dot jackson at thecompany dot org wrote:

> You're correct about the FreeBSD note. I was frustrated as Thunderbird had
> locked up and eaten my message, so I was hasty in it's writing.

Hate it when that happens...  :-p

I see where my reply to you didn't make it out to the list because it
didn't like the sender address I used.  This should work.

> Is there any way that the fpa driver could be included in the base build?
> Additionally, serial port based console along with local keyboard and
> monitor would be great too, with defaults of 9600,8,n,1 on the first
> serial port. I know it would help tremendously here in my case.
>
>  I know these aren't changes that would help everyone, but hopefully
> adding fpa would be trivial, and serial console makes managing many
> monowalls alot easier than using a KVM or having a monitor attached for a
> 1 time configuration.

That's a good question for Manuel, who hopefully is reading this.  I too
think that adding fpa would be pretty straightforward but there's some
tradeoff involved in that it makes the m0n0wall kernel larger, and a lot
of m0n0wall systems tend to be "small".  I'm not in a real good position
to evaluate that.  I know that the fpa driver would be pretty useless on
the Soekris boxes where I usually run m0n0wall.  :-)

About the serial port console, certainly the Soekris-based builds do it,
because the serial port is all they have.  So at least in concept this
is doable, but I haven't thought at all about what knob one would tweak
to turn this on.

Bruce.