[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hardware Dependency for Backup System
 Date:  Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:22:20 -0500
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:44:59 -0500, Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I am setting up m0n0wall to run on a dell mini-tower Optiplex GX150
> P3/1.0Ghz with three NIC's. I'd like to have a backup piece of
> hardware.
>
> If I export (backup) the config file, does the hardware of the backup
> system have to be the same as the production system...ie can I use an
> old P2/350 where the NIC's would be BSD compatible, but possibly
> different Vendor/Model Number.

As long as the NIC's use the same driver, it's a drop in replacement.
If they don't, you'll need to assign the interfaces appropriately
after restoring the configuration (or change it directly in the
config.xml before restoring if you know what you want assigned to
what).  Everything else is transparent to hardware changes.

-Chris