[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature Request
 Date:  Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:55:18 -0700
Chris Buechler wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:31:00 -0700, Dave Warren
><maillist at devilsplayground dot net> wrote:
>

>>I've always been at least moderately annoyed that although my range
>>.100-.199, only IPs in the .190-.199 range seem to get used, and those
>>IPs get reassigned to new MAC addresses very quickly after the lease is
>>given up.
>>

>That's how DHCP works on any platform, any server.  If you don't want
>the IP's reassigned so quickly, use longer lease times.  It'll assign
>the next available IP out of the range, and if a lease is expired that
>IP is available.

My win32 DHCP server tends to start assigning IPs, but doesn't tend to
reassign IPs immediately after they expire unless there are no other IPs
available.

I tend to use 7 day lease times, but it's not uncommon to have a virtual
machine stay offline for significantly longer then that.

Is there a specific need to reissue the IPs immediately vs using the
entire range of IPs?

--
Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there.