[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WEP issue with Apple client
 Date:  Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:03:25 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Jay Wherley (SEI) wrote:

> Had been running pb27r630 on net4801 for quite a while, no problems. Have used
> a DLink DWL-520 for WiFi and connected with various clients including Win XP PCs
> with Prism chipset and Apple iBook/Powerbook with Airport cards.
> Recently upgraded to 1.2b6. Hand entered a matching configuration. XP PCs continued
> to connect using WEP with no change required on PC side of things. (same WEP key).
> However Apple machines can no longer connect if WEP is used. (The error reported at
> OS X GUI is the same one received if WEP key is mismatched). Was unable to get a WEP
> connection up using various methods to enter key (0x prefix, $ prefix etc). Tried both
> hex and ascii forms of keys.
> From what I can tell, something is broken in WEP from m0n0 to Apple WiFi (802.11b) clients,
> not sure if the net4801 platform matters.
> Has anyone else used recent m0n0wall WiFi with Apple client?

Well, pb27r630 to 1.2b6 is a huge jump.  Try 1.11, which is the latest
release version.  If that works, try 1.2b3, which is the latest beta based
on FreeBSD 4.10.  This sounds like it's most likely a driver issue.

Beware that backward config conversions don't necessarily work, so you may
need to restore (or recreate) your pb27r630 config to go back to 1.11.

					Fred Wright