 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature Request
 Date:  Tue, 08 Mar 2005 21:15:55 +0100
On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 03:16, Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:31:00 -0700, Dave Warren

> That's how DHCP works on any platform, any server.  If you don't want
> the IP's reassigned so quickly, use longer lease times.  It'll assign
> the next available IP out of the range, and if a lease is expired that
> IP is available.

It's available yes.

But somebody and a mailing-list (don't have a reference to it) wrote
that the dhcp-server according to the rfc should hand out the same IP as
"last time" if it har not been reused, due to no more unused IP's. I've
skimmed rfc 2131, and chapter 4.3.1 states that it the correct behavior
- although not as _the_ methode.

The message in the discussion was, that it had to keep the MAC/IPs of
old connections for being able to hand out the previus. Not doing that
was consideres bad.
In the discussion it was also noted that the M$-dns did _not_ do it that
way, but M$' implementation didn't make it a correct implementation.