[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Thomas Winkler <xcanuckx at gmx dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WEP issue with Apple client
 Date:  Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:47:40 +0100
hi,
i am experiencing the same issue with my powerbook, os x 10.3.8
(airport fw 3.4.4f5) and m0n0 1.2b6 running soekris 4501. using 1.2b3
worked well, except the known WEP stability issues in ap mode.

Am 08.03.2005 um 21:03 schrieb Fred Wright:

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Jay Wherley (SEI) wrote:
>
>> Had been running pb27r630 on net4801 for quite a while, no problems.
>> Have used
>> a DLink DWL-520 for WiFi and connected with various clients including
>> Win XP PCs
>> with Prism chipset and Apple iBook/Powerbook with Airport cards.
>> Recently upgraded to 1.2b6. Hand entered a matching configuration. XP
>> PCs continued
>> to connect using WEP with no change required on PC side of things.
>> (same WEP key).
>> However Apple machines can no longer connect if WEP is used. (The
>> error reported at
>> OS X GUI is the same one received if WEP key is mismatched). Was
>> unable to get a WEP
>> connection up using various methods to enter key (0x prefix, $ prefix
>> etc). Tried both
>> hex and ascii forms of keys.
>> From what I can tell, something is broken in WEP from m0n0 to Apple
>> WiFi (802.11b) clients,
>> not sure if the net4801 platform matters.
>> Has anyone else used recent m0n0wall WiFi with Apple client?
>
> Well, pb27r630 to 1.2b6 is a huge jump.  Try 1.11, which is the latest
> release version.  If that works, try 1.2b3, which is the latest beta
> based
> on FreeBSD 4.10.  This sounds like it's most likely a driver issue.
>
> Beware that backward config conversions don't necessarily work, so you
> may
> need to restore (or recreate) your pb27r630 config to go back to 1.11.

what can i do to track the problem. using 1.11 or 1.2b3 is not really a
solution due to instabilities using WEP. updating to 1.2b5 doesn't work
at all.

thomas