[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Scott Nasuta <tcslv at cox dot net>
 To:  support at pfsense dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Benchamrking and import Rules?
 Date:  Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:52:17 -0800
I am interested in doing benchmarks on m0n0 (1.11 & betas) vs pfsense
and would like to incrementally increase the firewall rules to guage
performance impact of increasing rules between these two awesome
platforms. I also will look to see If I can find a good CD based Linux
firewall to throw in as well.

I have the machine all ready with latest version of each and my two
client PC's running QCheck. But I wonder if there are any of you that
can submit large rules for me to import to do my testing. Also is this
possible to do or will I have to manually add 25,50,100 rules?

I am also open to suggestions on what to test/change, better benchmark
software, etc. QCheck seems like a good utility for being free. I plan
on testing throughput of course, plus latency and UDP streaming. My
guess is that there will be little difference bewteen the combatants
since I an unable to hardly tax the systems (unless someone has 1000
rules or something), but I am curious nonetheless if there are
differences between IPFilter & PF.

--
Best regards,
 Scott N                          mailto:tcslv at cox dot net