[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  James Doherty <james at zeald dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Proxy ARP question
 Date:  Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:41:49 +1300
Hi guys,

I've set up a m0n0wall gateway to replace a linux gateway. Because I
can't set up ip aliases for the WAN interface like I could with the
linux gateway, I've set up proxy arp on all the ip's except the gateway
ip. I've also port forwarded some of the ports on the proxy arp'd ip's
to internal hosts. That is all.

When an outside client accesses one of the public ip's that is proxy
arp'd, what will the source address appear to be to the client for the
packets that get sent back to them? Will it be the gateway ip or the ip
that the user accessed? If its the gateway, what do I need to do to make
the source address the same as the ip the user accessed?

I hope that wasn't too confusing :)
Thanks in advance
--
James Doherty - Systems Engineer