[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Rothenberg" <seth at pachai dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  PXE booting from Linux
 Date:  Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:25:45 -0500 (EST)
Sorry to ask a question that sounds familiar.
I thnk it's a bit different...

The question is, can I use PXE Linux to install m0n0wall?

I want to try PXE booting a soekris, so I
can determine if I'll be able to load a 4526.
(If it's too hard, then I can just stick with 4521 :-)

I have a Linux environment.
I have nothing against FreeBSD, but I need to
know Solaris, AIX, and Linux, and don't need
to try to maintain another widget at home.

My assumption, based on my experience with Solaris,
is that once I boot a box with any OS, bring up
the network, I can dd an image from somewhere
onto the CF...eg, change the "gunzip | dd" to
rsh host cat m0n0.gz | gunzip | dd

Thus the above question, has anyone done this in reality?
URL's or other pointers welcome.  As long as I don't need
to go burn BSD CD's and find a working PC to put it on.

Again, sorry if it is a repeat, but I asked google,
and he can't recall...

Thanks
Seth