[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Request for a Hardware compatibility List
 Date:  Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:51:02 -0800
If memory serves me right, Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 12:40:11 +0100, Serge Huber <serge at think dash simple dot ch> wrote:
> > Dear List,
> >
> > has anyone thougt about creating a HCL ? I see lots of users sending non
> > working or not all working reports.
> > If there is a HCL the choise of hardware to buy for a m0n0wall would be
> > much easyer.
> > I search'd quite a while to collect all information to a m0n0wall with
> > all features working,
> > but at the moment i can also not use WEP.
>

> I've tried and tried to compile lists of verified working hardware but
> haven't had any luck.  The users guide has pretty good guidelines of
> what should work fine, and whenever we find something that doesn't
> work, we update it accordingly.

Some people have pointed to FreeBSD's hardware notes.  Other people have
(perhaps rightfully so) found them somewhat lacking.

For those working with m0n0wall versions based on FreeBSD 5.X (i.e.
m0n0wall 1.2b5 or later, based on FreeBSD 5.3) I'd encourage people to
consult the much-improved FreeBSD hardware notes.  Several people on
FreeBSD's documentation team did a very nice job in causing this
document to be generated from content in the device driver manual pages.
The details are beyond the scope of this discussion but the end result
is that starting from about 5.3, the hardware notes are dramatically
more useful, consistent, and up-to-date compared to what they looked
like previously.

Cheers,

Bruce.