[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  adrian <selage at sbcglobal dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] adding 3 nics to system and now i cant send emails
 Date:  Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:08:51 -0500
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:55:11 -0500, adrian <selage at sbcglobal dot net> wrote:
> Every since I have added 3 nic cards I can not send emails from my servers.
>
> I am forced to use my isp mail servers, which defeats the purpose of having
> email server,
>
> I have all the nics trusting one another and allowing all protocols to be
> passed though from one to another. Any suggestion

I really doubt if this has anything to do with the 3rd interface,
that's just a coincidence.

from?  I can't send anything to you.

$ telnet mail.majesticsoundsonline.com 25
Trying 67.39.15.5...
Connected to mail.majesticsoundsonline.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 <1110488345 dot 16121883 at majesticsoundsonline dot com> [XMail 1.21 ESMTP
Server] service ready; Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:59:05 -0500
helo there
250 majesticsoundsonline.com
mail from:cbuechler at gmail dot com
501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments: (-31) - Please Visit
http://spam.majesticsoundsonline.com for further information to why
you were denied the use of this server, or your mail was rejected

Same result from two different ISP's.  That should work fine, not kick
back a syntax error/spam block.  Of course that has nothing to do with
m0n0wall.

> Any suggestion, I have checked to see if port 25 is being blocked , and the
> thing is can receive email on my server's no problem at all, I have had some
> people telnet to my port 25 and they have gotten to my server welcome
> message, if anyone would offer any suggestion I would be in there debt
> forever, further more if anyone would like to telnet into my server and see
> if there is anything they can derive from it

That's inbound, not outbound.  Can you 'telnet mail.chrisbuechler.com
25' from your network?  If not, try to 'telnet mail.yourisp.com 25'
(where mail.yourisp.com is really your ISP's server) and see if that
works.  If the former doesn't work and the latter does, your ISP is
dropping 25 outbound.  If both of them work, you have some sort of
mail server problem.  If neither of them work, you might have a
firewall issue.

The work around, if you can't get your ISP to permit SMTP outbound
from you, is to use their mail server as a smart host.  That really
doesn't defeat the purpose of having a mail server, though it's
certainly inconvenient if you want to check outbound queues.

-Chris