[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Rob Kruit <rob dot kruit at quicknet dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] layer 7 integration
 Date:  Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:39:26 +0100
I think this would every hard to do, if not impossible. Letting it
operate on layer 7 would require it to be an application level firewall
like many desktop firewalls and to provide such functionality it's
required to run on the client pc on which the applications are running
you wish to block/filter or like Microsoft ISA server running a firewall
client on the client PC's. This would mean there has to be a piece of
client software running on the client pc's authenticating the local
users against the firewalls user database and then monitoring those p2p
applications locally for what ports they use which is then be send to
the firewall which would dynamically filter these ports. Doing this
would be extremely difficult and I don't think it's gonna be in any next
versions of mono wall.
Another option is using the p2p wizard in mono wall's traffic shaping
options or simply set bandwidth limits and low priority's on connections
to and from any port except connections to port 80, 21 and 110. This
would permit them to use http, ftp and mail traffic on full speed but
any other traffic is limited.

Regards,

Rob Kruit