[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christopher Snell <chris dot snell at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Greenbow VPN Client and Monowall
 Date:  Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:53:50 -0600
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:00:55 -0700, Sancho2k.net Lists
<lists at sancho2k dot net> wrote:

> OpenVPN works well through firewalls/NAT and is in experimental status
> in 1.2b6. We've used it with much success for branch office and remote
> user connections at work and like it a lot. Maybe your testing on
> m0n0wall would be of help.. ;)

I would like to add that OpenVPN is a cinch to set up, even on a
non-m0n0wall box.  Speed is excellent; cryptography is done via
OpenSSL and the tunnel can be accelerated with a compatible VPN
accelerator card. It's great for "road warrior" users because OpenVPN
quickly brings the connection back up after an IP change or
disconnection.  There's even a Windows version (complete with
installer) that inter-operates nicely with the *NIX versions.

As a datapoint, I'm connecting m0n0wall (in client mode) to an OpenVPN
2.x server running on OpenBSD and it works like a champ.

Chris