[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Edmund Lian <edmund underscore lian at juscom dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Sporadic routing failure affecting only Windows machines
 Date:  Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:53:47 +0800
Hi,

I've got a very strange problem that appears to be m0n0wall related. I
have two locations linked via a m0n0wall IPSEC tunnel. Once side of the
tunnel, the site that all the client machines are on, has a dynamic IP
address.

Machines on one side of the wall access a webserver on the other side
of the tunnel via a local IP address (192.168.x.x).

The problem is that occasionally, clients cannot access the webserver.
The webserver logs show that the HTTP requests come in, but the server
response seems to not get to the clients. The same holds true for
telnet and other connections.

The perverse thing is that the problem comes and goes, and only affects
the Windows machines. During times when the Windows machines are unable
to receive responses, my Mac client is completely unaffected.

At first, I thought that this was not a network/m0n0wall related
problem. However, the fact that it only affects the Windows machines,
and affects all of them simultaneously, seems to indicate some kind of
routing issue.

Does anybody have a clue they can toss in my direction?

...Edmund.