[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Edmund Lian <edmund underscore lian at juscom dot com>
 To:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Sporadic routing failure affecting only Windows machines
 Date:  Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:27:58 +0800
On Mar 15, 2005, at 11:20, sylikc wrote:

> Otherwise, try giving a more detailed overview of the network, for
> example if you're using advanced routing or setting certain exclusions
> for the Windows hosts, using captive portal, etc. to see if anything
> else might be causing your problem.  Also, when does service resume?
> Do you have to reboot the Windows hosts or does something have to
> occur before they can receive responses again?  What Windows OS are
> the Windows hosts running?
>
> m0n0wall (Layer 3/4) is not aware of the operating system (Layer
> 5/6/7), so since it works with the Mac client on the receiving side,
> in a default configuration (without advanced options), it doesn't
> sound like a m0n0wall issue.

Thanks for your thoughts. The problem comes and goes by itself. That
is, service drops out and resumes for all Windows hosts at the same
time. I have to think that the problem has more to do with the way
Windows hosts interact with the VPN (some kind of obscure behaviour of
the Windows TCP/IP stack). Part of the problem is that the problem is
quite unpredictable. Things mostly work, but when service drops out, it
can stay out for a day or so.

I'll put in packet sniffers next time and see if I can't gather more
information.

Thank you for your help.

...Edmund.