[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Damien <damien dot daly at free dot fr>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VPN server only
 Date:  Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:48:30 -0500
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:56:36 +0100, Damien <damien dot daly at free dot fr> wrote:
> Hi
>
> m0n0wall is a great project, but I'd like to know if il can run only as a VPN server to make lan
to lan connections ?
> I am behind a router "vpn pass-through" and I don't want to buy a windows server for that...

Yeah that's possible.  The problem is you can't put two interfaces on
the same subnet or things won't work right, and in that circumstance
you'd have to have LAN and WAN of m0n0wall on your LAN subnet.

One alternative would be a second subnet on the LAN side of the router
for m0n0wall's WAN, if that's possible.  The ideal solution would
probably be a second public IP for m0n0wall's WAN.

Another solution, if you can number your LAN appropriately, would be
to use a subset of your LAN on the WAN side and the remainder on the
m0n0wall LAN side.  As an example, if your router is 192.168.1.1, make
your m0n0wall WAN 192.168.1.2/30, and put everything in the LAN on the
high end of the LAN subnet with an appropriate LAN side IP and mask.

-Chris