[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Kjell N <k underscore netsec at hotmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VLAN - DHCP - CaptivePortal
 Date:  Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:03:38 -0500
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:12:25 +0100, Kjell N <k underscore netsec at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have not tested VLAN on m0n0wall yet. Before I do I have a couple of
> questions for experienced users.
> I have searched the FAQ and the list-archive but I did'nt find the answers.
> (That I wanted ... ;)
>
> 1) Is VLAN the same as on for example a Cisco-switch?
> That is, trunking with VTP and 802.1q compatible with a Cisco-net?

Yes, it should work that way.

> 2) Is CaptivePortal-interface one VLAN or the physical interface?
> CAN I use CaptivPortal on more then one VLAN? (Different segments.)

I believe one VLAN or the physical interface, though I haven't tried
that before.  Captive portal appears to only work on one interface of
the system.

> 3) Can I use DHCP on 3 different VLANs? (Different DHCP-scopes.)

Up to 16 interfaces with DHCP on versions up to and including 1.2b3,
more though I'm not sure how many on 1.2b5 and newer.

> 4) Any difference with more then one DHCP-scope using "internal server" or
> DHCP-relaying?

If I understand what you're saying, you're asking about using DHCP
relay to forward from the other subnets to a DHCP server on your LAN
vs. using m0n0wall's DHCP server?  If m0n0wall is your only DHCP
server, DHCP relay isn't an option.  If you want to use a LAN DHCP
server for any reason, then DHCP relay is the way to go.

-Chris