[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Roy Andre Tollefsen" <royandre at emsp dot no>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Using m0n0wall as a larger PPTP/VPN-server
 Date:  Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:02:03 +0100
We are using m0n0wall as a general firewall, but we've also started
using the PPTP/VPN-server for some clients to be able to log in from WAN
to some internal network-interfaces (we've got 13 network-interfaces on
the server as of today...). We now consider using PPTP/VPN in a much
larger scale and give many more users access through this splendid
feature. We therefore have some questions in general:

1) As one can see in the PPTP-configuration-page there's a 16-user limit
today in the PPTP-server. I guess that means that only 16 concurrent
users can be authenticated and logged in at the same time. We have great
programmers here which could re-write this to make m0n0wall be able to
allow more users in that case, but maybe somebody's already working on
this? I couldn't find it in the todo-list anyway. Somebody?

2) Secondly, if we - lets say - want to let 100 users be able to log in
concurrently through PPTP/VPN in m0n0wall, how could the
CPU/memory-utilization be? I know VPN uses lots and lots of CPU to
encrypt data, but does anyone have any estimate on what hardware-specs
would be enough roughly?

3) Is it in any way possible to re-write the PPTP-sever so that when you
add new users you don't need to "hang up" (IE: restart) the PPTP-server
so that already-logged-in users loose their connection?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Roy Andre T.

Systems engineer