[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jordan T." <jordan at blue dash ferret dot com dot au>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Routing a seperate subnet over WAN to LAN
 Date:  Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:16:15 +0800
Hi list,

I have site where im using monowall 1.2b3 that is setup like this:

WAN: X.X.164.225/29 - ethernet to fibre converter
LAN: 192.168.100.254/24 - ethernet to switch
OPT1: Bridge to LAN - ethernet to cisco VPN router

Our ISP has given us two subnets to use:
X.X.164.224/29 and X.X.165.52/30

Server 192.168.100.3 on the LAN interface is hosting some virtual
websites, which have a reverse dns of the WAN IP, which port 80 is being
NAT'd to. However workstations on the LAN cant access them because of
the problem where by you cant NAT a packet over an interface that it
originated from.

So I want to route the second subnet onto the LAN so I can assign the
server X.X.165.54 but in order to do this I will need to assign the
monowall's LAN interface a second IP of X.X.165.53 to be the gateway.

I guess i have two questions here:

1) how can i assign the LAN interface a second IP
2) when i do this, will the device route the subnet like i want or will
something different happen all together?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jordan.