[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Claude Morin <klodefactor at gmail dot com>
 To:  seth at pachai dot net
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PXE booting from Linux
 Date:  Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:51:46 -0500
It will work.  The following detail is for anyone who isn't as
familiar with UNIX as you are.

As long as your PXE-booted configuration doesn't need the hard drive
to which you want to copy m0n0wall, your approach won't be a problem.

BTW, I haven't done this via PXE boot, but I *have* done it by booting
from a live-bootable Linux CDs (Knoppix, and the Knoppix-derived
INSERT).  The concept is identical:
        - boot the system
        - make the m0n0wall image accessible to the local system
                - for PXE boots, just have the .img file on a locally
accessible NFS filesystem, or use rsh (ssh for preference) as you
suggest
                - for live CD boots, just FTP the file to your
ramdisk, or use NFS if you don't have much RAM
        - uncompress the image and write it to the hard disk
                gunzip < imagename | dd of=/dev/hda
                - replace "hda" with the device special file that
represents your target hard disk, and be careful (!!) if you have more
than one HD in the system :-)

This is generally how I install new m0n0walls.

-klode