[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jeroen Visser" <monowall at forty dash two dot nl>
 To:  "Piotr Romanski" <fascik at killer dot radom dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Workgroups in VPN connection
 Date:  Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:05:00 +0100
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:53:05 +0100, Piotr Romanski wrote

> How to setup VPN connection to see workgroups and machines at office?
> Office's systems: Windows 2000Pro and one Windows 98. I have Windows
> 2000  at home. m0n0wall 1.26b5

You're asking the overall VPN question that all people ask when configuring a VPN
and are using Windows shares.

VPN's (with the possible exception of OpenVPN TAP interfaces and GRE tunneling) do
NOT forward broadcasts. Windows shares are discovered with broadcasts.

Configure a central WINS server in your network and let all hosts use this WINS
server to send their info to or recieve their info from.

Use another form of tunneling. (OpenVPN is the only VPN software that MIGHT solve
your issue).

There's also a the possible LMHOSTS hack, but that's an administrative hell...

--
Kind broadcast regards,
Jeroen Visser.